Connect with us

Politics

Seyi Makinde: Army Saved Me From Death Twice

Published

on

Governor Seyi Makinde of Oyo State said the Nigerian Army had saved him from imminent death on two occasions.

Makinde spoke at a reception organised in his honour by the General Officer Commanding, 2 Division, Nigerian Army, Major General Anthony Omozoje, at the Tiger’s Den, Adekunle Fajuyi Cantonment, Odogbo, Ibadan, Oyo State.

He said, “To some people, it may be something new but to me, it is not. I had been saved twice from imminent death by the officers of this Division. The first experience was in 2007 when I was contesting to go to the Senate. On the day of election, my house was invaded by mobile policemen but I was rescued by the officers and was taken to the Mokola Barracks where I stayed throughout the election.

“I did not even vote on the day of election but I was happy that I came back unhurt due to the efforts of the officers of this 2 Division. Also, in 2015 when I was contesting to be the governor of this state, I was going to campaign in front of the family house of my opponent. Violence erupted but the officers of this division took charge and I was rescued unhurt.

“If I fast-track that to Operation Burst, I am glad to say that anytime we have them going out for an operation, we sleep peacefully because we know they will do the necessary things.”

The governor also lauded the Army for being organised and disciplined in their duties, noting that the attributes were similar to what obtains in engineering.

He stated that his administration would continue to provide social amenities for the well-being of all and sundry in the state, adding that he had approved the renovation of the school in the barracks.

“The last time I was at the WASA event, I spoke about two major things; the dilapidated school in the barracks and the Light-Up Oyo State Project. Because you have been selfless in taking the wellbeing of the people of the state as top priority, I have given the approval for the renovation of the school,” he said.

Earlier, Omozoje thanked the governor for his continuous support for the division.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Foreign

Goodluck Jonathan Reportedly Stranded in Guinea-Bissau After Sudden Military Takeover

Published

on

Former Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan is reportedly stranded in Guinea-Bissau following the military’s announcement of a takeover on Tuesday.

Jonathan, who travelled to the country as part of an international election observation mission, was expected to oversee the release of official results before the unexpected shift in power disrupted all movement. Sources say he and other foreign observers are currently unable to leave as security restrictions tighten across the capital.

The situation has sparked concern among regional stakeholders, with diplomatic channels said to be monitoring developments closely. So far, neither Jonathan nor Nigerian authorities have issued an official statement on his safety or plans to return.

The unfolding political tension in Guinea-Bissau continues to draw global attention, especially as the fate of the election results remains unclear.

Continue Reading

Foreign

China Reaffirms Commitment to Supporting Nigeria’s Fight Against Terrorism

Published

on

China has restated its readiness to continue supporting Nigeria in the ongoing fight against terrorism and efforts to maintain national stability.

Chinese Ambassador to Nigeria, Yu Dunhai, gave the assurance after a meeting with the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu, on Thursday.

In a statement shared via X, the ambassador said China “firmly supports” the Nigerian government’s development strategies that align with the country’s realities and long-term goals.

Dunhai also emphasized that China remains opposed to any external interference in Nigeria’s internal affairs “under the pretext of religion and human rights.”

The meeting further strengthened diplomatic ties between both nations, with discussions centered on security collaboration and sustainable development.

Continue Reading

News

U.S. Revokes Wole Soyinka’s Visa, Restricting His Entry Into the Country

Published

on

Nobel laureate Professor Wole Soyinka has disclosed that the United States government has revoked his visa, effectively barring him from entering the country for now.

Speaking at a media briefing on Tuesday at Kongi’s Harvest Gallery, Freedom Park, Lagos Island, Soyinka said he was notified of the development through an official letter from the U.S. Consulate dated October 23, 2025.

He explained that he decided to make the matter public to inform organizations and individuals expecting him in the U.S. not to proceed with any travel-related plans.

> “I have no visa; I am banned, obviously, from the United States. And if you want to see me, you know where to find me,” Soyinka said, expressing shock at the decision. “I don’t have any criminal record or even a misdemeanour that could warrant such an action. I keep asking myself—have I ever misbehaved toward the United States?”

According to Soyinka, the letter from the Non-Immigrant Visa (NIV) Section of the U.S. Consulate stated that the revocation was in accordance with U.S. Department of State regulations but gave no specific reason for the decision.

His revoked visa was a B1/B2 category, typically granted for business and tourism purposes.

Earlier in September, PM News reported that Soyinka had declined a request from the U.S. Consulate to attend a visa re-interview, saying he initially believed the notification letter was fake or a scam.

Despite the development, Soyinka emphasized that he bears no animosity toward U.S. authorities, adding that his previous interactions with American diplomats had always been cordial.

He concluded by noting that he would continue to seek clarification on the matter but does not regard the revocation as a personal attack.

Continue Reading

Trending