Connect with us

News

Fake Tradional Healer Arrested For Deceiving Over 500 Women That They Were Pregnant

Published

on

A Traditional healer has been arrested for conning hundreds of women into believing they were pregnant in Guinea.

N’na Fanta Camara reportedly gave her clients who had been unable to conceive a mixture of leaves, herbs and other medicines that caused them to bloat and look pregnant.

Some of her victims were reported looking pregnant for 12 to 16 months.

According to BBC, she charges her clients $33 (£24) each, in a country where the average monthly wage is around $48 (£35). Police believe Ms. Camara made thousands of dollars a month, despite the claims that her aim was only to help the women. “I work very hard to help [the women] realise their dream but the rest is in the hands of God,” she told reporters in Conakry.

On Tuesday, more than 200 women stormed the police station in the Guinean capital of Conakry where Ms. Camara was held, to protest.

It was also reported that over 700 women aged 17 to 45 are believed to have been affected by Ms. Camara’s pregnancy “cure”. “It’s been a year now since we first went to see this woman,” one of the protesters told the BBC’s Alhassan Sillah in Conakry. “During our first visit, she gave us some medicines of leaves and herbs that made us vomit. She assured us that this was good for us. As one continues to take these medicines, the stomach starts to rise a bit “After a while, we visited again, she examined us by just touching our bellies and she declared us pregnant.” The women added that Ms. Camara told them not to go to a doctor, and once she declared them pregnant, they were expected to give her a chicken and fabrics in thanks.

So far a police doctor has examined 47 of the affected women and said they risked long-term complications from the treatment.

N’na Fanta Camara is expected to be charged soon with endangering people’s lives through fraudulent means.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Foreign

Goodluck Jonathan Reportedly Stranded in Guinea-Bissau After Sudden Military Takeover

Published

on

Former Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan is reportedly stranded in Guinea-Bissau following the military’s announcement of a takeover on Tuesday.

Jonathan, who travelled to the country as part of an international election observation mission, was expected to oversee the release of official results before the unexpected shift in power disrupted all movement. Sources say he and other foreign observers are currently unable to leave as security restrictions tighten across the capital.

The situation has sparked concern among regional stakeholders, with diplomatic channels said to be monitoring developments closely. So far, neither Jonathan nor Nigerian authorities have issued an official statement on his safety or plans to return.

The unfolding political tension in Guinea-Bissau continues to draw global attention, especially as the fate of the election results remains unclear.

Continue Reading

News

Rep. Ahmed Idris Wase Raises Alarm Over Alleged Boko Haram Names on Army Recruitment List

Published

on

A fresh wave of national concern has been triggered after former Deputy Speaker of the House of Representatives, Ahmed Idris Wase, alleged that names of individuals suspected to be linked to Boko Haram were once discovered on a Nigerian Army recruitment list.

Wase made the revelation on Wednesday while addressing colleagues and security stakeholders. According to him, the discovery points to a deeper and more dangerous level of infiltration that could compromise Nigeria’s ongoing fight against terrorism. He warned that if such cases go unchecked, they could weaken the country’s security architecture from within.

The lawmaker stressed the need for urgent and comprehensive reforms in recruitment procedures across all security agencies. He called for:

Enhanced vetting and background checks

Stricter biometric verification

A complete review of recruitment protocols

Cross-agency intelligence sharing

Wase argued that preventing infiltration at the point of entry is just as critical as frontline military operations, emphasizing that national security begins with ensuring the right people are admitted into the armed forces.

His claims have since generated widespread reaction from citizens, security experts, and civil society organisations. Many Nigerians are calling on the federal government to conduct a detailed investigation into the alleged incident, insisting that transparency is essential to restoring public trust in the nation’s defence system.

As of press time, the Nigerian Army has not issued a formal statement responding to Wase’s claims, leaving the public eager for clarification on a matter that touches directly on national safety.

Lagos Lately will continue to monitor developments and provide updates as the story unfolds.

Continue Reading

News

FG Vows to End Frequent Power Grid Collapses

Published

on

The Minister of Power, Adebayo Adelabu, has assured Nigerians that the Federal Government is intensifying efforts to put a stop to the recurring national grid collapses and improve overall stability in the country’s power sector.

Speaking in Uyo, Akwa Ibom State, on Friday during the maiden retreat of the Nigerian Independent System Operator (NISO) themed “NISO on the Move,” Adelabu—represented by the Permanent Secretary of the Ministry, Alhaji Muhammadu Mamman—said President Bola Tinubu’s administration has been implementing fresh strategies from day one to stabilise the grid and curb nationwide power outages.

According to him, the establishment of NISO is one of the key reforms introduced by the Federal Government to transform operations within the power sector and drive reliable electricity supply.

Nigeria has long grappled with repeated grid collapses, largely attributed to ageing infrastructure, inadequate funding, poor maintenance, and vandalism. These disruptions have resulted in widespread blackouts, affecting businesses, slowing economic activity, and forcing households to depend heavily on generators and other costly alternatives.

Adelabu noted that the current administration is committed to reversing these trends. “Since the commencement of this administration, things have been done differently. The creation of the Nigerian Independent System Operator is a clear indication of government’s renewed approach to achieving grid stability, reducing power outages, and ensuring every Nigerian has access to electricity,” he said.

Continue Reading

Trending