Connect with us

News

Abia Vigilante Shoots Man Dead After He Was Accused Of Stealing A Mobile Phone

Published

on

An official of the Abia State Vigilantee Service(VGN) aka Bakassi, fatally sh^ot a 27-year-old staff of De Choice Eatery in Umuahia, Abia state, over a missing phone.

The deceased, identified as Izuchukwu Mbakwe, di^ed after he was sh^ot at close range by the vigilante guard. The incident happened in front of the eatery at Okpara Square, beside a new-generation bank on Sunday, March 26, 2023.

According to reports, Mbakwe, a native of Umuosu Okaiuga Nkwoegwu in Umuahia North Local Government, recently returned to Nigeria from Dubai and got a job at DE Choice fast food.

The late Izuchukwu Mbakwe was allegedly being owed 5 Months salary by the management of DE CHOICE fast food before his untimely de^ath yesterday, March 26.

According to eyewitness reports, troubled started when a company-owned phone went missing at the restaurant.

Izuchukwu had arrived at work when the Internal Auditor summoned Vigilante Security Guards and demanded his arrest over the disappearance of the phone.

The guards allegedly str^ipped Izuchukwu Mbakwe accusing him of being responsible for the missing phone and be^at him.

One of the guards then sh^ot Izuchukwu in his leg causing injury to his femoral artery. The gu^nshots terrified other customers in the restaurant who took to their heels.

On realizing his action, the vigilante man reportedly removed his service uniform and tried to use it to stop the sea of bl^ood that was gushing out of the victim’s body.

The victim was rushed to FMC Umuahia for treatment but he di^ed having lost so much blood.

Speaking to journalists at NUJ Press Centre in Umuahia on Monday March 27, the spokesperson of the Abia State Vigilante Service, Mr. Ben Uche, said the sh^ooting was not a deliberate action but an accidental discharge from the personnel’s g^un.

Mr. Uche said the security staff did not intend to k^ill the victim but was on a peace restoration mission when the accidental discharge happened.

According to the media officer, the late Izuchukwu had a disagreement with the manager of The Choice over alleged indebtedness to the victim by the manager.

He stated that the late Izuchukwu allegedly seized a phone belonging to the manager, insisting that he must be settled before he could release the phone which sparked a shouting match between the two men.

He further explained that the Abia State security outfit’s official in trying to stop the two men from fighting mistakenly torched the trigger of his service gun which hit the victim in the lower leg region and not his lap or abdomen.

Uche, who said the matter has been reported to the police, explained that his office is already investigating the incident even as the suspect has been arrested.

He commiserated with the family of the victim, noting that Abia State Vigilante Service was known for the security of lives and property in the state and not violence.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Foreign

Goodluck Jonathan Reportedly Stranded in Guinea-Bissau After Sudden Military Takeover

Published

on

Former Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan is reportedly stranded in Guinea-Bissau following the military’s announcement of a takeover on Tuesday.

Jonathan, who travelled to the country as part of an international election observation mission, was expected to oversee the release of official results before the unexpected shift in power disrupted all movement. Sources say he and other foreign observers are currently unable to leave as security restrictions tighten across the capital.

The situation has sparked concern among regional stakeholders, with diplomatic channels said to be monitoring developments closely. So far, neither Jonathan nor Nigerian authorities have issued an official statement on his safety or plans to return.

The unfolding political tension in Guinea-Bissau continues to draw global attention, especially as the fate of the election results remains unclear.

Continue Reading

News

Rep. Ahmed Idris Wase Raises Alarm Over Alleged Boko Haram Names on Army Recruitment List

Published

on

A fresh wave of national concern has been triggered after former Deputy Speaker of the House of Representatives, Ahmed Idris Wase, alleged that names of individuals suspected to be linked to Boko Haram were once discovered on a Nigerian Army recruitment list.

Wase made the revelation on Wednesday while addressing colleagues and security stakeholders. According to him, the discovery points to a deeper and more dangerous level of infiltration that could compromise Nigeria’s ongoing fight against terrorism. He warned that if such cases go unchecked, they could weaken the country’s security architecture from within.

The lawmaker stressed the need for urgent and comprehensive reforms in recruitment procedures across all security agencies. He called for:

Enhanced vetting and background checks

Stricter biometric verification

A complete review of recruitment protocols

Cross-agency intelligence sharing

Wase argued that preventing infiltration at the point of entry is just as critical as frontline military operations, emphasizing that national security begins with ensuring the right people are admitted into the armed forces.

His claims have since generated widespread reaction from citizens, security experts, and civil society organisations. Many Nigerians are calling on the federal government to conduct a detailed investigation into the alleged incident, insisting that transparency is essential to restoring public trust in the nation’s defence system.

As of press time, the Nigerian Army has not issued a formal statement responding to Wase’s claims, leaving the public eager for clarification on a matter that touches directly on national safety.

Lagos Lately will continue to monitor developments and provide updates as the story unfolds.

Continue Reading

News

FG Vows to End Frequent Power Grid Collapses

Published

on

The Minister of Power, Adebayo Adelabu, has assured Nigerians that the Federal Government is intensifying efforts to put a stop to the recurring national grid collapses and improve overall stability in the country’s power sector.

Speaking in Uyo, Akwa Ibom State, on Friday during the maiden retreat of the Nigerian Independent System Operator (NISO) themed “NISO on the Move,” Adelabu—represented by the Permanent Secretary of the Ministry, Alhaji Muhammadu Mamman—said President Bola Tinubu’s administration has been implementing fresh strategies from day one to stabilise the grid and curb nationwide power outages.

According to him, the establishment of NISO is one of the key reforms introduced by the Federal Government to transform operations within the power sector and drive reliable electricity supply.

Nigeria has long grappled with repeated grid collapses, largely attributed to ageing infrastructure, inadequate funding, poor maintenance, and vandalism. These disruptions have resulted in widespread blackouts, affecting businesses, slowing economic activity, and forcing households to depend heavily on generators and other costly alternatives.

Adelabu noted that the current administration is committed to reversing these trends. “Since the commencement of this administration, things have been done differently. The creation of the Nigerian Independent System Operator is a clear indication of government’s renewed approach to achieving grid stability, reducing power outages, and ensuring every Nigerian has access to electricity,” he said.

Continue Reading

Trending