Connect with us

News

17-Yr-Old Hearing Impaired Boy, Mother Arrested Over Murder of 60-Yr-Old Woman

Published

on

A teenage hearing impaired boy has drawn the ire of the law for alleged gruesome murder of a middle-aged woman.

The 17-year-old suspect, Godwin Ogbeifu, now in police custody, was alleged to have stabbed the victim, identified as Iyabo Olasheinde, with a broken bottle in the neck.

Also arrested is the suspect’s mother, 35-years-old Mary, for alleged complicity in the murderous act.

Godwin had left their Akoko Crescent resident in Yakoyo area of Ojodu in Ogun State and strayed into the now late woman’s compound on Omolara Street, also in Yakoyo, but was chased away by the residents, for reasons not disclosed.

Crime Puzzle gathered from a press release issued by the Ogun State Police spokesman (PPRO), DSP Abimbola Oyeyemi that, the suspect got home and narrated the incident to her mother, who got enraged and went to the house with the boy, to demand for reason(s) they acted scornfully to her son.

In a probable predetermined decision to deal ruthlessly with the deceased, the teenage assailant armed himself with a broken bottle and, on getting to the house, he wasted no time playing the script he acted; he stabbed the hapless woman in the neck.

Acting on the distress call he received on the unfortunate incident, the Divisional Police Officer (DPO) of Ojodu-Abiodun Station, SP Eyitayo Akinluwade, mobilized his men and moved to the scene, and arrested the mother and son.

“The victim was rushed to a nearby hospital for treatment, but was sadly pronounced dead by the doctor on duty”, the PPRO said, adding that the corpse had been deposited in a mortuary for autopsy.

He further stated that, the state Commissioner of Police, Lanre Bankole had ordered the immediate transfer of the suspects to the Homicide Section of the state Criminal Investigation and Intelligence Department (SCIID) for further investigation, with a view to charging them to court as soon as investigation was concluded.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Foreign

Goodluck Jonathan Reportedly Stranded in Guinea-Bissau After Sudden Military Takeover

Published

on

Former Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan is reportedly stranded in Guinea-Bissau following the military’s announcement of a takeover on Tuesday.

Jonathan, who travelled to the country as part of an international election observation mission, was expected to oversee the release of official results before the unexpected shift in power disrupted all movement. Sources say he and other foreign observers are currently unable to leave as security restrictions tighten across the capital.

The situation has sparked concern among regional stakeholders, with diplomatic channels said to be monitoring developments closely. So far, neither Jonathan nor Nigerian authorities have issued an official statement on his safety or plans to return.

The unfolding political tension in Guinea-Bissau continues to draw global attention, especially as the fate of the election results remains unclear.

Continue Reading

News

Rep. Ahmed Idris Wase Raises Alarm Over Alleged Boko Haram Names on Army Recruitment List

Published

on

A fresh wave of national concern has been triggered after former Deputy Speaker of the House of Representatives, Ahmed Idris Wase, alleged that names of individuals suspected to be linked to Boko Haram were once discovered on a Nigerian Army recruitment list.

Wase made the revelation on Wednesday while addressing colleagues and security stakeholders. According to him, the discovery points to a deeper and more dangerous level of infiltration that could compromise Nigeria’s ongoing fight against terrorism. He warned that if such cases go unchecked, they could weaken the country’s security architecture from within.

The lawmaker stressed the need for urgent and comprehensive reforms in recruitment procedures across all security agencies. He called for:

Enhanced vetting and background checks

Stricter biometric verification

A complete review of recruitment protocols

Cross-agency intelligence sharing

Wase argued that preventing infiltration at the point of entry is just as critical as frontline military operations, emphasizing that national security begins with ensuring the right people are admitted into the armed forces.

His claims have since generated widespread reaction from citizens, security experts, and civil society organisations. Many Nigerians are calling on the federal government to conduct a detailed investigation into the alleged incident, insisting that transparency is essential to restoring public trust in the nation’s defence system.

As of press time, the Nigerian Army has not issued a formal statement responding to Wase’s claims, leaving the public eager for clarification on a matter that touches directly on national safety.

Lagos Lately will continue to monitor developments and provide updates as the story unfolds.

Continue Reading

News

FG Vows to End Frequent Power Grid Collapses

Published

on

The Minister of Power, Adebayo Adelabu, has assured Nigerians that the Federal Government is intensifying efforts to put a stop to the recurring national grid collapses and improve overall stability in the country’s power sector.

Speaking in Uyo, Akwa Ibom State, on Friday during the maiden retreat of the Nigerian Independent System Operator (NISO) themed “NISO on the Move,” Adelabu—represented by the Permanent Secretary of the Ministry, Alhaji Muhammadu Mamman—said President Bola Tinubu’s administration has been implementing fresh strategies from day one to stabilise the grid and curb nationwide power outages.

According to him, the establishment of NISO is one of the key reforms introduced by the Federal Government to transform operations within the power sector and drive reliable electricity supply.

Nigeria has long grappled with repeated grid collapses, largely attributed to ageing infrastructure, inadequate funding, poor maintenance, and vandalism. These disruptions have resulted in widespread blackouts, affecting businesses, slowing economic activity, and forcing households to depend heavily on generators and other costly alternatives.

Adelabu noted that the current administration is committed to reversing these trends. “Since the commencement of this administration, things have been done differently. The creation of the Nigerian Independent System Operator is a clear indication of government’s renewed approach to achieving grid stability, reducing power outages, and ensuring every Nigerian has access to electricity,” he said.

Continue Reading

Trending